Hyperloop technology will change the future world of logistics and transportation. It will revolutionise e-commerce. It will aid in the development of newer most modern cities. And last but not least, it will save the earth! And guess what.. it’s the newest attraction coming to Expo 2020 Dubai.
- 0.1 Does it sound too much! Apparently not till you read ahead
- 0.2 Revolutionising the world of transportation
- 0.3 Saving the earth
- 0.4 The second revolution in e-commerce.
- 1 Why Expo 2020 Dubai is important from the perspective of Hyperloop
Does it sound too much! Apparently not till you read ahead
Revolutionising the world of transportation
- Hyperloop envisages ferrying passengers safely at speeds of conventional airliners. Imagine that on the ground.
What is the hyperloop speed that’s achieved?
Till now speeds of hyperloop onwards of 200 kmph has already been breached in trial runs in Toulouse, France.
Saving the earth
- Hyperloop runs mostly in near zero resistance condition. This leads to extremely low power requirement for propelling the capsules. Hence, lots of energy are saved, once the pods levitate from the ground by a few centimetres.
- Compared to conventional transports using the internal combustion engines whose fossil fuel requirements are still high, Hyperloop requires almost zero energy requirement in the levitated state.
Therefore, carbon emission footprint is also very low from operations (Motors will mostly run from solar power). Like in the 80s we 90s, we had trams which were basically electric vehicles and created no pollution, Hyperloop also contributes to decreasing the carbon emission significantly while carrying thousands of people daily.
The second revolution in e-commerce.
- E-commerce has two distinct parts. One part consists of booking the goods and associated transactions which done digitally. The second part consists of logistics i.e. delivering the goods from the warehouse to the last mile.
- It is in this second logistical part of e-commerce that hyperloop can revolutionise. Virgin Hyperloop one in partnership DP World of (Abu Dhabi’s biggest cargo operator), has already formed a hyperloop cargo logistics company.
Imagine goods in palletized packages, moving at speeds of 500 kmph and above, between the city of San Francisco and Los Angeles or between Abu-Dhabi and Dubai or Mumbai to Pune.
Cargo that would have taken hours (5-6) for intercity movements will take 30-45 minutes in hyperloop. This translates to a cargo whole day movement being compressed to 45-one hour journey from origin to destination.
Why Expo 2020 Dubai is important from the perspective of Hyperloop
Hyperloop is an emerging technology. Like all emerging technologies, these are ultimately products of start ups seriously working on it. Here, one start-up is Hyperloop Transportation Technology from California and the second one is Sir Richard Branson’s Virgin Hyperloop one.
One has testing facilities in deserts of Nevada, while HTT has created test tunnels in Toulouse , France. It manufactures its capsules in Spain
However, start-ups need money. Though both technologies have angel investors, but that is not enough.
Any start-up will need companies who provide the necessary launch pad, laboratories, infrastructure, regulatory approvals which cannot be handled alone by a small enterprise.
Such a big project like Hyperloop needed a huge land bank, regulatory approvals and loads of money.One kilometre of running the Hyperloop project currently needs around 40 million dollars.
UAE Emirate Dubai was the first nation and emirate to loosen their purse strings for Hyperloop with a definite timeline.
Al Maktoum International Airport (DWC) is the first target. It should be complete before Expo 2020 starts. Thats the aim.
A target of lying-in a 10 km hyperloop track (on pillions) near the DUBAI EXPO 2020 site, which is also adjacent to UAE and Dubai with Dubai RTA have been extremely helpful TO HTT in providing the land bank to this project via AL-dar properties.
Aldar properties are providing access to their Al Sderieh landbank for this project. Other engineering firms of UAE (example Engineering firm Dar AL-Handasah) are also chipping in to get this engineering marvel get on ground running before October 2020.
Expo 2020 will also have the world’s first true hyperloop experience pod stall from Virgin Hyperloop One, where normal visitors, various nations, corporate, investors will be able to experience, for the very first time, the simulation of travelling in excess of 500 kms per hour and the insides of a Hyperloop pod.
Therefore, Expo 2020 Dubai is extremely important from Hyperloop perspective because, for the first time, the world will able to judge the practicality of this revolution, courtesy the 10 km Hyperloop track on the fringes of Dubai and Abu Dhabi.
Secondly, it will add to the scientific charisma of Expo 2020 Dubai, because common people of UAE and visitors from all over the globe, who may not be able to experience the Hyperloop from HTT , will be able to do so, free of any extra charge, at Virgin Hyperloop One’s experience stall.
The official scientific & home departments of various nations will know the logistics, cost and feasibility of having hyperloop in their countries from a central place.